Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Making of Real Olympic Heroes

With Olympic fever on my horizon, and at my door (almost literally), it has been on my mind a lot, as I am helping people make their professional and dream experiences happen here during the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics. It immediately becomes obvious that everyone has different needs and different expectations for their time here. Then there are the different needs and expectations of Vancouverites. Some are hoping to leave and cash in on others' Olympic fever. Volunteers are sprouting new clothes and slowly, new attitudes. We are just getting used to new traffic patterns, busier streets, and pavillions sprouting like white mushrooms on every vacant scrap of land. The media questions our Olympic spirit and our snow. Yet, as the Olympic torch gets closer, and we cheer on those we know who are torchbearers, their burning passion ignites our own hearts, and hopes.

As the streets fill with flags emlazoned on sidewalks and jackets, sweaters and t-shirts, we wear pins and hats to identify ourselves with our countries and our heroes. I am looking forward to my family coming to share the Olympic spirit, even though I am not an avid sports fan. I definitely have a favorite who is a hero in my books even before he steps onto the snow. I am rooting for him-like his life, and that of many others, depends on it. I am filled with hope for the future and the promise of possibility that his being a top Olympic competitor, puts in our face. This is the face of Kris Freeman, Olympian, and like my grandson, a type one diabetic who also wears an Omni pod pump.

Athletes to successfully compete, must put in every ounce of blood, sweat and tears. It is the ultimate mental and physical effort. Find out just how much more is involved and at stake when you add type 1 diabetes. I hope by the time my grandson is old enough to compete, he will be able to do so without the worries and potential complications that Kris must live with each time he hits the slopes,as you can see by this interview done by Bernard Farrell.

Diabetes Technology Blog: Kris Freeman Interview

No comments: