Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vancouver is on the right track

Today was the inauguration of the first Canadian airport to Downtown light rapid transit service. From 1 pm to 9pm today, Vancouverites took to the subterranean depths to take part in today's festivities and free rides. Despite a few glitches, like not anticipating how many joy riders there would be, meaning people were riding to the end and back and not getting off, meant that there were very long line ups. It also meant that the special inaugural passports were gone by 430 in the afternoon.


Having recently been in New York and Geneva (where hotel guests get free transportation for their entire stay) our station and the tracks were, of course, immaculate. Hopefully Vancouver's reputation for being a super clean city will extend below the city too. Geneva also has no turnstiles, just the same honor system. I was impressed in Geneva and the car design with lots of seats and standing room, and multiple handrails looks great, although I am not sure about when lots of people have luggage, as there was no luggage rack or overhead racks on the trains we were on.


The ride was smooth, fun and fast. The large window at the front makes for a real experience as you are rounding corners, especially under ground. There is a distinct sense of the rise and fall of levels as you plunge under the water and under ground, and an almost blinding emergence.


Having decided more than a year ago, to make do with using only one of our cars, I can definitely see myself along with many others hopping a ride to many places on my list.


I am happy though that I do not have to use it tomorrow as I think that the lineups for buying tickets will be pretty long... Think I will go and buy a multiple pass before I need it!


All aboard!

No comments: